Re: redirecting bounce messages

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:42:38AM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 04:18:16PM -0500, Michael Boudreau wrote:
> > Yes, modifying the zmailer group has made the 'Sender' header
> > disappear from the outgoing messages, and I'm no longer seeing the
> > bounce messages, which I assume are going back to the original
> > senders now.
> >
> > However, something new happens when 'nobody' is included in the
> > zmailer group. Messages that are sent to special addresses on the
> > server, which our crossbar.cf file catches and redirects to a special
> > user's account, where procmail takes over, seem to be getting the
> > @domain.com part of the address stripped off.
>
> Err...  Somewhere in there is a BIG warning, that 'nobody' user should
> not be in trusted group.    What and why that was, I don't remember
> at this time of the night.
>
> You will get nasty surprises, I seem to recall.

He was using the user "nobody" as an example.  The actual user is the
one the Web server runs as.  I assume he had security in mind when he
decided not to give the actual user name.  Does your warning still
apply in this case?

> > E.g.:
> >
> > 1. message CC'd to 'ABC-123@server.com'
> >
> > 2. crossbar.cf says that anything sent to this address is redirected
> > to 'specialuser'
>
> Hacking crossbar.cf for this is not a good idea.
> You can do it with  fqdnroute  mapping.  (Or perhaps with   fqdnalias
> plain and simple.)
>
> Of course

The problem for us is that we would actually like to redirect messages
to 'ABC-*@server.com' to one user name.  As far as we know, none of
the alias methods can take wildcards in aliases.  If this
understanding turns out to be incorrect, then we would be happy to be
educated.

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press