Re: Zmailer is using the wrong domain name!

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:34:13PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:59:14PM -0400, Gerard Hickey wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there that can give me some guidance?
> >
> > I send a message to the list two days ago that I hoped would generate
> > some ideas of why Zmailer is replacing the domain name on all the
> > email that it is processing.
>
> I didn't see it, although it is possible that I junked couple
> "for approval" filtered messages.
>
> > I am finding that any address in a mail message (From:, To:, Cc:,
> > etc.) that has a domain that Zmailer processes messages for, Zmailer
> > is replacing that domain name with the name of the machine. This is
> > getting frustrating and I am not able to find anything on the net or
> > in the archives that gives me an indication of why this is happening.
>
> I think you have following kind of line in your   localnames  file:
>
> 	.	mail.kernelrom.com
>
> Using '.' there is BAD IDEA.

OK, I just checked my localnames file and I wish it were that
easy. The following is the entire file at the moment.

#a
#b  Remap local names (and recognize them) to their "canonic" forms.
#c  thus having multiple machines on the same mailer..
#d
#z nicname              canonic.name
ftp                     mail.kernelrom.com
ftp.kernelrom.com       mail.kernelrom.com
imap                    mail.kernelrom.com
imap.kernelrom.com      mail.kernelrom.com
kernelrom.com           mail.kernelrom.com
list                    mail.kenrelrom.com
list.kernelrom.com      mail.kernelrom.com
lists                   mail.kernelrom.com
lists.kernelrom.com     mail.kernelrom.com
lists.moac.org          mail.kernelrom.com
mail                    mail.kernelrom.com
moac.org                mail.kernelrom.com
pop                     mail.kernelrom.com
pop.kernelrom.com       mail.kernelrom.com
smtp                    mail.kernelrom.com
smtp.kernelrom.com      mail.kernelrom.com
worldofwaterson.net     mail.kernelrom.com
www                     mail.kernelrom.com
www.kernelrom.com       mail.kernelrom.com
www.moac.org            mail.kernelrom.com
www.worldofwaterson.net mail.kernelrom.com

Given that using . is a bad idea, could it also be that using mail
(the name of the system) is also a bad idea? I will give it a try here
in a moment.
--
Gerard Hickey			hickey@kernelrom.com