Re[2]: Syntax question: smtp-policy.spam

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:40:26 +0300 Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> wrote:

> > >   If the program gives unexpected outputs (like some PERL syntax
> error),
> > >   the policy report is considered to be "-1 550 5.7.1 ...",  which
> > >   might not be quite wanted -- especially when the reason is a perl
> > >   goofup..
> >
> > Shouldn't the smtpserver give a 4xx code and syslog an error if the
> > program behaves unexpectedly?
>
>   Like I said, it is "fragile".  I need to have a moment to
>   re-engineer it to have sensible behaviour in absense of
>   proper responses.

With the recent exposion of spam and virus traffic, I became concerned
about content filtering.  But I am wandering if extra fork()/exec() for every
message is practical...  We currently process well over a million messages
per day.  Ideally, content filter might be built in smtpserver binary, with
filtering rules dynamically reloadable the same way as current policy database.

--
Eugene Crosser, head of Internet Applications section, +7 501 787 1000
ROL, Teleross, Golden Telecom, http://user.rol.ru/~crosser/