Re: Syntax question: smtp-policy.spam

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 01:30:39PM -0600, Daryle A. Tilroe wrote:
> I am using this feature to stop quite a bit of inbound junk
> at the smtpserver stage.  For example I put old employee
> addresses in here.  I think this may be a stupid question but
> if and how can regular expressions/wild cards work here.  My
> specific example is that I would like to block email with
> a "." in the to name part of the address sent to my domain.
> For example:

  The whole facility is written with "pick the (sub-part-of) address,
  see if it can be found from the policy database by simple lookup"
  paradigm.  It really can't do any sort of iterative regular expression
  analysis.  Also, it works with MAIL FROM and RCPT TO envelope addresses
  only, paying no attention to message content (visible From:/To:/Cc:)

> 37fec9d9.ce0b4247@micralyne.com
>
> This should be simple since I can block both inbound and
> internal as no valid email addresses in my domain have a ".".
> Something like this:
>
> .*[\.].*@micralyne.com$
>
> So is this possible at all?

  Perhaps.  The  "man smtpserver" does describe "CONTENTFILTER
  INTERFACE", which is somewhat fragile, and difficult to use,
  especially when the filter program has a bug (like I had
  last weekend here at nic.funet.fi...)

  The  utils/smtp-contentpolicy.in  PERL script tries to show
  the interface, but alas there are a few bugs in it which I
  have learned about over last couple of weeks...