Multiple internal relays without DNS

We are trying to configure zmailer (hosta) for internal use on our LAN to
filter mail between two other SMTP hosts (hostb and hostc). I have tried to
use PUNTHOST to punt local (hosta) mail to hostb, all other mail going to
SMARTHOST hostc. However, at the moment all mail goes to hostc then bounces.

Any ideas and configuration very gratefully received. This may be only a
temporary measure which is why we do not want to use DNS or MX records. We
tried it with Sendmail (we have the bast book!) and Qmail until I found
zmailer (had a bit of trouble with the make of 2.99.??p7 (I think it was) as
vacation.c seemed to have unresolved #DEFINEs.

MTIA

Best Regards,
Paul A. Cheshire
Remote Support Centre