Re: 2.99.49 patch4

> (Another user demonstrates his cluelessness in public)
>
> Hi,
>
> 	I might be missing something, but i can't find zmailer-2.99.49p4
> anywhere. I thought the home site was ftp.funet.fi:/pub/unix/mail/zmailer.
> Would someone clue me in? Thanks!

	When the changes are small, I don't do full distribution,
	instead I do a 'patch', which means difference between the
	two (incremental) versions.

	In this case you need to pick  zmailer-2.99.49p3.tar.gz,
	and open it.  Then you need to pick  zmailer-2.99.49.patch4
	file, and within the  zmailer-2.99.49p3 directory do:
		patch -p1 < ../zmailer-2.99.49.patch4

	Result of the process is 2.99.49p4, and you could rename the
	directory for it too..

> > Fri Jul  4 14:54:02 1997  Matti Aarnio  <mea@mea.tmt.tele.fi>
> >
> > 	* Makefile.in
> > 	    Version 2.99.49p4
>
> another thing: I'm trying to implement a new way to disable relaying:
> The only customers we are willing to relay for are the ones we are doing
> MX and/or DNS housing for. I'm trying to make a rule that checks if the
> sender host of a message is not MX or DNS housed by us, then we only forward
> the message if it's sent to a host that's MX or DNS hosted at us.
>
> Anyone tried anything like this before? Is it possible at all? I still don't
> know enough about zmailer's innards because of lack of time and
> documentation.

	The smtpserver's policy database is exactly for that.
	Do read source files  README.SPAM,   policy/db/smtp-policy.src
	and  utils/policy-builder.sh

	From those you should get a fairly good idea of what goes on,
	but I will elaborate a bit more:

	When you have done the installation, you need to create files:

		$MAILVAR/db/smtp-policy.relay

	which contains those of your customers (IP networks and names)
	that you do outbound relaying for, and:

		$MAILVAR/db/smtp-policy.mx

	for those domains that you are MX:ing.

	Once those are done, execute the program  $MAILBIN/policy-builder.sh
	to generate the actual runtime binary database.

	The order in which these sourcefiles are loaded is such that if
	you have same domains both at the 'relay', and at the 'mx' files,
	then you will get complaints about duplicates, but you can safely
	ignore them.    My intention has been that you should list only
	IP addresses/networks of your customers at the 'relay' file, and
	only domains at the 'mx' file.   See  smtp-policy.src  for examples
	on how to code them.

	Intentionally this system does not rely on DNS lookups, because
	ANYBODY can put your host to be their MX without your consent.

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>