Re: forwarded comment from comp.mail.sendmail on zmailer vs sendmail

At 02:17 AM 2/23/95 -0500, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Mark Moraes forwarded:
>> > My hat is off to Eric Allman.  Recently we switched our mail hub machine
>> > from Zmailer to Sendmail 8.6.9.  With Zmailer the machine was running at
>> > capacity, in constant I/O wait, and couldn't process the mail as fast
as it
>> > came in.  The best Zmailer could do was around 4,500 messages an hour.
With
>> > Sendmail 8.6.9 the machine is only running at around 1/3  to 1/2 capacity
>> > processing 6,000 messages an hour.  The machine in question is a Sun Sparc
>> > 10 model 51 running SunOS 4.1.3.  The difference is incredible!!!!
>> > Jim
>
>  I find this highly dubious, because:
>
>  - no mention of Zmailer config:  how many routers?, RAM, etc
RAM - 80 Meg, Routers 10

>  - if machine was in "constant I/O wait", doesn't that indicate that
>Zmailer had reached hardware limitations and that nothing could do
>better?

Your right Zmailer had reached its limit on that hardware, but Sendmail on
that machine was only using half the capacity of the machine to send on
average 30 percent more mail per hour.  The point is that Sendmail seems to
be more efficient.

>Tom

                                                James W. Howell
  Cornell Information Technologies - Network Resources Collaboration Systems
                           Home Page: <http://lmbass.cit.cornell.edu/>
                       Phone: (607)-255-9369  Email: jwh2@cornell.edu