Re: forwarded comment from comp.mail.sendmail on zmailer vs sendmail

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Mark Moraes forwarded:
> > My hat is off to Eric Allman.  Recently we switched our mail hub machine
> > from Zmailer to Sendmail 8.6.9.  With Zmailer the machine was running at
> > capacity, in constant I/O wait, and couldn't process the mail as fast as it
> > came in.  The best Zmailer could do was around 4,500 messages an hour.  With
> > Sendmail 8.6.9 the machine is only running at around 1/3  to 1/2 capacity
> > processing 6,000 messages an hour.  The machine in question is a Sun Sparc
> > 10 model 51 running SunOS 4.1.3.  The difference is incredible!!!!
> > Jim

  I find this highly dubious, because:

  - no mention of Zmailer config:  how many routers?, RAM, etc

  - if machine was in "constant I/O wait", doesn't that indicate that
Zmailer had reached hardware limitations and that nothing could do
better?

Tom