Re: Header re-write

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Scott Schwartz wrote:
>
> > > I don't understand your point.
> >
> > My point is that in 2.2 the localnames file had a single, simple,
> > useful, function.  In 2.99 it has some different function, with
> > different rules, and no compelling motivation for any of those
> > changes.
>
>   The way localnames works now is more useful.  I use it.  The
> differences between the old localnames and the new is easier to summarize
> than the differences between IDA and V8.

Er, depends on what you need to do with it. The option of doing it either
way is nice. The relational engine hasn't changed much in all of this, so the
old localnames matching works just fine, as expected. I only wish Matti
had called it something else, like 'domaingroup' or  just 'domains', with
pattern matching based on XOR membership in one or the other db (force
scan of both db's rather than "first-found-is-returned" - thus allowing
both ways to be effectively used).

But a simple work-around to the old behavior was easy enough by using the
old relation.

In defence of the new version, I must say that I'm much more pleased
with 2.99 than earlier versions, since it got rid of my router hangs
primarily (not that I was unhappy with the Toronto version - it still
beat the pants off any standard sendmail, allowing me to do stuff in
minutes what would otherwise take considerable resource time with *%#!.cf
oddities).

> > As long as I'm flaming, let me mention that I was one of Rayan's
> > original beta-testers, back in the ancient days when psuvax1 was still
> > a vax 11/780.  Even then Zmailer was more stable than 2.99 seems to be.
>
>   Have you used 2.99?
>
>   The real problem with 2.99, is the lack of workers.  Zmailer needs
> more patches/docs and less flames.

I do second that. Matti has indicated that he is re-vamping the docs
(but man-hours are in short supply everywhere; we must be patient)

--
James S. MacKinnon             Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Computing/Networking           Voice : (403) 492-8226