Re: persistent connection problem

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:37:25PM +0000, Mike Almogy wrote:
> Thank you very much.
> I will try it in our lab tomorrow and will write you if there any
> developments.
> If i'de like to add the code that closes the SMTP stream, what do i need
> to do or get? i'm not a programmer (just a sys admin)

I did write, compile, and finally commit an option that does
exactly that.  Or it should do..  I don't have use for such
behaviour in my system, so it isn't exactly tested stuff.
On the other hand...  it is so trivial, that it _should_ work.

The option is "-1" for the smtp ta, and you will need to add that
option to your outbound channel.  Perhaps create some  scheduler.conf
selector of style:

    smtp-1/*
        ... some parameters ...
        command="smtp -c $channel -1 ..otheropts.."

and then route messages to it like this (in  'routes'  file):

   target.dom  smtp-1![1.2.3.4]

/Matti Aarnio

> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:39:01PM +0000, Mike Almogy wrote:
> >

> >>Hello all
> >>
> >>I'm new to Zmailer and have some questions.
> >>Here is my situation:  I have a customer who has zmailer as mail relay
> >>with some anti virus/anti spam software that works only on zmailer.
> >>The mail relay sends it's received mails to a F5 load balance system
> >>that supposed to distribute the load among 4 other mail server.
> >>The problem, as they told me, was that the F5 keeps TCP connections, and
> >>since the zmailer keeps it's tcp connection and keeps persistent
> >>connection to the mail server,then only one of the mail servers is
> >>actually working.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to disable this ?
> >>

> >Or side-step it.
> >
> >There is a way to run parallel streams.
> >
> >Current setup has a capability to route thru a parallel
> >delivery setup.
> >
> >E.g. into   routes   file add:
> >
> >  target.dom  smtp-par![1.2.3.4]
> >
> >and delivery will run in parallel streams.
> >The  smtp-par  is defined in the  scheduler.conf  file, and in
> >there you can add more parallel streams, if need be:
> >
> >#
> ># In some cases we definitely want to run parallel smtp sessions
> ># to given destination:
> >#
> >smtp-par/*
> >        maxchannel=999
> >        maxring=50
> >        maxthr=10
> >        overfeed=2
> >        interval=1m
> >        retries="1 1"
> >        skew=1
> >        command="smtp -c smtp-par -s" #- l ${LOGDIR}/smtp-par"
> >

> >The "maxthr=10" in there sets the system to run up to 10 streams
> >in parallel.  Now if there are   maxthr * overfeed  number of
> >messages to be sent, then all allocated streams will be feeding
> >simultaneously.
> >
> >If that isn't enough, make a new -- "smtp-par-20/*" clause, or
> >some such, and set in there "maxthr=20"  (or however much you
> >feel necessary).
> >
> >There is no way to limit the number of messages per connection.
> >Hmm...  There is a possibility to add code to send only one message
> >per connection ( = close SMTP stream after each message )
> >That might help a bit, too.
> >

> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Mike

FUNET:  Finnish Academic and Research Network
	Network Information/Software Archival Service