Re: persistent connection problem

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:39:01PM +0000, Mike Almogy wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm new to Zmailer and have some questions.
> Here is my situation:  I have a customer who has zmailer as mail relay
> with some anti virus/anti spam software that works only on zmailer.
> The mail relay sends it's received mails to a F5 load balance system
> that supposed to distribute the load among 4 other mail server.
> The problem, as they told me, was that the F5 keeps TCP connections, and
> since the zmailer keeps it's tcp connection and keeps persistent
> connection to the mail server,then only one of the mail servers is
> actually working.
>
> Is there a way to disable this ?

Or side-step it.

There is a way to run parallel streams.

Current setup has a capability to route thru a parallel
delivery setup.

E.g. into   routes   file add:

  target.dom  smtp-par![1.2.3.4]

and delivery will run in parallel streams.
The  smtp-par  is defined in the  scheduler.conf  file, and in
there you can add more parallel streams, if need be:

#
# In some cases we definitely want to run parallel smtp sessions
# to given destination:
#
smtp-par/*
        maxchannel=999
        maxring=50
        maxthr=10
        overfeed=2
        interval=1m
        retries="1 1"
        skew=1
        command="smtp -c smtp-par -s" #- l ${LOGDIR}/smtp-par"

The "maxthr=10" in there sets the system to run up to 10 streams
in parallel.  Now if there are   maxthr * overfeed  number of
messages to be sent, then all allocated streams will be feeding
simultaneously.

If that isn't enough, make a new -- "smtp-par-20/*" clause, or
some such, and set in there "maxthr=20"  (or however much you
feel necessary).

There is no way to limit the number of messages per connection.
Hmm...  There is a possibility to add code to send only one message
per connection ( = close SMTP stream after each message )
That might help a bit, too.