Re: sloppy option

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:41:42AM +0100, Bartek Krajnik wrote:
> On 22-11-2003 at 02:03:07AM +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> MA> The 'S' thing in  smtpserver.conf  works only, if the remote ends
> MA> greets with  HELO/EHLO.  But there are some weird clients that
> MA> don't bother to do even that :-(
> MA>
> MA> I was trying to figure out, what was hammering one work server of mine
> MA> with that utterly sloppy "start straight with 'MAIL FROM:foo@bar'"
> MA> thingie.
>
> Some mail clients make space between ":" and "<" (with normal sequence
> HELO before).

Yes, lots of them do.  M$ thingies...
(And Win CE did/does send without "<",">" chars.)

By the way, this sloppy beast I was referring at does appear to be
TeleWell 645 "firewall".

> Maybe You thought about some option to don't accept messages "MAIL FROM:<>"?
>
> policytest.c:
> 1446    if (len == 0) /* MAIL FROM:<> -- error message ? */
> 1447      return 0;   /* We accept it, sigh.. */
>
> Here "-1" and next nice option for spammers :-)

You mean REJECTING the error messages ?  No way!
I am highly upset about ignorance of admins who do that with
systems supporting such perversion at all.

> BTW, someone should think up SMTPng with better antispam mechanism.

There are lots of proposals, but short of centralized hierarchical
X.400, where the sender pays (dearly), there won't be a change to
stop spammers.  Spammers are doing it, just because it is so darn
cheap for them to do.