Rfc822-to-quoted-printable

Hello,

Please, help me with the following issue - my boss is getting furious ;-) I
am experiencing strange problem with our zmailer setup. The test case is as
follows: letter is sent from one machine (pk2, exim) to the other (kps1,
zmailer), then relayed to external computer via the smtp transport agent.

In one case, the letter is sent without any problems. In the other case,
_the_same_ letter has every newline replaced by two newlines (as seen on the
receiving machine), and - when looking into the message source, its contents
are changed to quoted-printable. In the headers I can see:

	pk2.test.onet.pl") by kps1.test.onet.pl with ESMTP
	id <S154060AbTKGMFW> convert rfc822-to-quoted-printable; Fri, 7 Nov
2003 13:05:22 +0100

(the replacement takes place)

or

	pk2.test.onet.pl") by kps1.test.onet.pl with ESMTP
	id <S171882AbTKGJ4m>; Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:56:42 +0100

(no translation)

Now the questions are as follows:

1. why has the translation taken place
2. what is the mechanism to decide, when the translation should take place?
Obviously, it does not happen every time, though the message is the same.
3. why the translated letter has another one newline added for each
existing? This is especially worrying. It applies to body only, messages
have single newlines.

Cheers,
Marek