Re: Rfc822-to-quoted-printable

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:23:25PM +0100, Marek Kowal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please, help me with the following issue - my boss is getting furious ;-) I
> am experiencing strange problem with our zmailer setup. The test case is as
> follows: letter is sent from one machine (pk2, exim) to the other (kps1,
> zmailer), then relayed to external computer via the smtp transport agent.
>
> In one case, the letter is sent without any problems. In the other case,
> _the_same_ letter has every newline replaced by two newlines (as seen on the
> receiving machine), and - when looking into the message source, its contents
> are changed to quoted-printable. In the headers I can see:

The Quoted-Printable (or "quoted-unreadable" as some say) should apply
only, when the smtp destination system doesn't report  8BITMIME capability
in EHLO response, AND the message has characters that have 8th bit set.

At the same time, also "Content-Encoding:" header should be modified
from  "8BIT" to "QUOTED-PRINTABLE".

The end result should be identical per users who support full set of
MIME formats.

Of course it is possible, that there are some mistakes in these
conversions.  Supplying examples of original message, resulting
encoding, and full related headers  should clarify the issue.

> 	pk2.test.onet.pl") by kps1.test.onet.pl with ESMTP
> 	id <S154060AbTKGMFW> convert rfc822-to-quoted-printable; Fri, 7 Nov
> 2003 13:05:22 +0100
>
> (the replacement takes place)

Yes, and SMTP sender can only put the conversion entry there.

> or

> 	pk2.test.onet.pl") by kps1.test.onet.pl with ESMTP
> 	id <S171882AbTKGJ4m>; Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:56:42 +0100
>
> (no translation)
>
> Now the questions are as follows:
>
> 1. why has the translation taken place
> 2. what is the mechanism to decide, when the translation should take place?
>    Obviously, it does not happen every time, though the message is the
>    same.
> 3. why the translated letter has another one newline added for each
>    existing? This is especially worrying. It applies to body only,
>    messages have single newlines.

For the two first are covered in MIME RFCs, especially in RFC 1428.
You do make me to suspect a bug in the code.  Please send me the sample
messages along with their headers.

> Cheers,
> Marek

/Matti Aarnio