From: Marc A. Pelletier [mailto:marc@ctrl-alt-del.ca]
Sent: 28 czerwca 2003 08:16
To: zmailer@nic.funet.fi
Subject: Proposed ESMTP extension to help lessen the impact of spam

Hello.

In the course of my research project, I have drafted a simple ESMTP
extension to help attenuate the pressure of spam.  I would like
implementors from the well known MTAs to comment on the I-D of the
extension for form and substance.  In other words, feel free to point
out any horrible flaws, implementation nightmares, or unlikely strokes
of genius in it.

Abstract:
   This document defines an SMTP service extension [ESMTP] whereby
   an SMTP client may establish a trust relationship with the server
   attesting its confidence in the validity of the originator of a
   message.  This confidence, or its absence, can then be used to
   mitigate the cost of undesirable messages (primarily spam) without
   disrupting operations between, or with, SMTP implementations not
   supporting the extension.

While I currently have a toy proof-of-concept implementation of the
extension, implementing it in ZMailer would help testing it for
robustness and usefulness.  So, given sufficient interrest I would
write a patch against the current development branch for wider testing.
(Though I might need some support, I am not very familiar with the deep
magic of ZMailer's internals).

Because of ill timing, my draft was sent to the IETF during the hiatus
caused by the impending meeting; and will therefore not be available
from their I-D directory until July 18.  Since this is a mailing list I
will refrain from including the draft itself with this email--  I will
send it to anyone who asks or to this address if requested.  I wouldn't
want to-- err-- spam you.  :)

-- Marc A. Pelletier
   Ecole de Technologie Superieure
   Montreal, Qc, CA

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe zmailer" in the
body of a message to majordomo@nic.funet.fi