virtual hosting

I wonder if anyone has done this and/or have any brilliant ideas...

We are planning to provide virtual mail domains, prefferably on a
single machine.  I see a few ways to implement this, from using
fqdnaliases (zero modifications in the source) to modifying the
mailbox transport to deliver different domains to different
directories and quering some database instead of getpwnam()
(requires some programming), all having some drawbacks.

I would like to hear some advice.

Another problem will be IMAP/POP server, so if you know any solutions
for that, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Eugene