Re: mail addressing question

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Alvin Starr wrote:

> I am trying to set up a mail server that will deliver to people based on
> firstname.lastname@xxx.com. Is there any place that sombody can point me
> to that gives a descripton of how to do this.
> So far my best guess is to just create aliases to login accounts that may
> not have long.names.
>
> P.S. I have just asked to be subscribed to the list so I would appreciate
> if people CC'd me directly in the response.

Use the built-in fullnamemap function:

tshimshan# router -i
ZMailer router (2.99.10mea #1: Sat Jan 21 13:48:32 MST 1995)
  jmack@Phys.UAlberta.CA:/ZMdevel/zmailer2.99.10
Copyright 1992 Rayan S. Zachariassen
Copyright 1992,1993,1994 Matti Aarnio

z# db toc
headers       header                -
trusted       incore                -
pwuid         incore                -
pwnam         incore                -
fullname      incore                -
expansions    incore                l
hostexpansions incore                l
thishost      unordered   0/10      lB /zmailer/db/localnames
thisdomain    ordered     0/10      l  /zmailer/db/localdomains
ipaddress     bind,a      0/200      -  /etc/resolv.conf
revaddress    bind,ptr    0/200      -  /etc/resolv.conf
fullnamemap   ndbm        0/10      l  /zmailer/db/fullnames
mxhosts       bind,mx     0/200      -  /etc/resolv.conf
routesdb      ordered     0/10      -  /zmailer/db/routes
canon         bind,any    0/200      n  /etc/resolv.conf
pathdb        ndbm        0/10      l  /zmailer/db/pathdb
aliases       ordered     0/10      l@ /zmailer/db/aliases.idx -> /zmailer/db/aliases.dat

So at my site, /zmailer/db/fullnames is the source file for an ndbm
database which has the format:

first.lasta	usera
first.lastb	userb
...(etc)

i.e.:

a.frolov        andrei
a.l.larsen      alarsen
a.larsen        alarsen
a.santana       santana
abdul.elezzabi  abdl
abdul.kamal     kamal
...(etc)

The usernames in the second column can map to identities in the aliases
db as well.

It is a sorted list ('sort -o fullnames fullnames'), and the ndbm db is
created on the sorted list using the makendbm utility( which you have to
build sepearately - it can be found in the zmailer source tree in
utils/makendbm) :

	makendbm fullnames

Once this is done, restart zmailer, and check the db toc to see that it's
installed (as above); then check the functionality with:

tshimshan# router -i
ZMailer router (2.99.10mea #1: Sat Jan 21 13:48:32 MST 1995)
  jmack@Phys.UAlberta.CA:/ZMdevel/zmailer2.99.10
Copyright 1992 Rayan S. Zachariassen
Copyright 1992,1993,1994 Matti Aarnio

z# router jim.mackinnon
<jmack.interactive@tshimshan.Phys.UAlberta.Ca>: address: jim.mackinnon
(((local jmack jmack g1)))

z# router abdul.kamal
<jmack.interactive@tshimshan.Phys.UAlberta.Ca>: address: abdul.kamal
(((smtp euclid.phys.ualberta.ca kamal@euclid.Phys.UAlberta.Ca g2)))

...(etc)

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Department of Physics        Voice : (403) 492-8226