mail addressing question

I am trying to set up a mail server that will deliver to people based on
firstname.lastname@xxx.com. Is there any place that sombody can point me
to that gives a descripton of how to do this.
So far my best guess is to just create aliases to login accounts that may
not have long.names.

P.S. I have just asked to be subscribed to the list so I would appreciate
if people CC'd me directly in the response.

TIA

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)493-3325
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)493-7974
alvin@iplink.net              ||