Re: Still more questions on new zmailer

> Hi Matti,
>
> You write:
>
> >     At first it (filetable) should be enlarged a bit, can you determine,
> >     how many file slots there are in your system to begin with ?
>
> It's Sunos 4.1.2. I've tracked the problem down to a change in

    Yeah, I found your other letter after replying to the another..

> scheduler.conf. Changing the maxchannel value from 199 back to the
> original 10 fixed the problem.

	It depends..  Resource overbooking can yield that kind of
	results.  You should not book  maxchannel for more than
	the system can handle.  It isn't documented too well, I agree..

	"Depending your configuration, old scheduler can have circa
	 10-20 transporters LESS than the largest number of open files
	 a process can have.  The scheduler-new can have either half
	 of that, OR same amount depending on system configuration
	 using bi-directional pipes, or just ordinary uni-directional
	 ones.. (bi-directional pipes give NMAX-20, roughly..)"

	"On scheduler.conf, the maxta= are to be set to the limit
	 value, and  maxchannel= should not be overbooked.
	 On  scheduler-new.conf the maxring= controls the number
	 of active transporter processes per `ring'.  Do note
	 that `maxchannel=' is common for all those definitions
	 that have same channel, and it can include multiple rings.."

> So what is the story with list expansions?  I still see memory bloat
> with the router, but it's not clear to me how to use the listexpand.c
> program?

	If you use my new scripts, AND the new router, then it
	should not bloat that much (2-3 MB, I think, but not
	150+ MB for 1000 recipients...)
	(With old scripts it WILL bloat the same, as before..)

	listexpand  is a hack to be used via /etc/aliases, as if
	you were doing list expansion on sendmail.  From the source:

/*
 *  listexpand -- expand mailinglist from a file to have an envelope
 *                containing all the addresses listed individually.
 *
 *  listexpand owner@address /path/to/file/containing/addresses
 *
 *  This EXPECTS things from the listfile:
 *      recipient@address <TAB> (other data in comments) <NEWLINE>
 */

	--- $MAILVAR/db/aliases ---
	my-list: "/p/mail/bin/listexpand my-list-owner@my.host /p/mail/expand/my-list-addrs"
	my-list-owner: myself

	Pretty soon after that I rewrote the router scripts
	to use builtin routine doing very much of the same.
	(And without noticeable memory bloat, I might add..)

> sdb
> --
> sdb@ssr.com

	/Matti Aarnio

PS: I am again going to travel -- this time to FUNET HQ, email
    keeps piling up, no matter what I try to do to handle it :-(