Re: transports directory

Nicholas_Briggs.PARC@xerox.com wrote:

>Since I haven't upgraded from ZMailer 2.2 to ZMailer 2.99.xx, because of the
>unreliability (see the archives!), I can't say that i'd be real tempted to
>upgrade if you rewrote the scheduler.
>
>Since i'm acting as a gateway for all of Xerox, Fuji Xerox, and Rank Xerox, I
>don't think there's a timezone that I don't have correspondents in -- so I
>can't afford to run code that crashes periodically, and requires attention when
>I get to work in the morning.

We were running 2.2 ever since it was released, and it would require
attention about once a week (mostly router core dumps).

We upgraded to 2.2e6 in February, and haven't had a SINGLE problem since.

As I see it, the advantage of the 2.2eX versions is that they have
only had portability changes and bug fixes ... no new major features.

No matter how closely you study someone's code, it rather difficult
to know it better than the original author ... and rather easy to
deviate from the original design in subtle (and sometimes buggy) ways.

By the way, I just noticed there is a zmailer2.2.e7.tar.Z at
ftp.csri.toronto.edu:/pub/zmailer ... who snuck that in there? :-)