>16491w  HELO list.cren.net
>16491r  220 All set, fire away
>16491w  EHLO list.cren.net
>16491r  500 Huh?
>16491w  HELO list.cren.net
>16491r  220 All set, fire away
>16491w  EHLO list.cren.net
>16491r  500 Huh?

>It seems to happen when zmailer and MSMAIL get together.  It appears
>that the 220 ... is confusing ZMAILER, I thought the correct code was
>250 ? But 220 should work no ...

 I have zmailer and MSMAIL working.. MSMAIL is brain damaged in that it DROPS the connection
after the first EHLO... Soo, I had to make the following changes

 1) ESMTP greeting

	- the ESMTP 'EHLO' was not recognized by Microsoft's SMTP gateway.
	  When the EHLO greeting was sent, it would drop the connection, or
	  so it seemed. I looked at the code in transports/smtp/smtp.c and
	  had to make the following change:

   This is on 2.97mea.

*** transports/smtp/smtp.c.old  Fri Nov 18 09:51:49 1994
--- transports/smtp/smtp.c      Mon Dec  5 13:16:47 1994
***************
*** 930,935 ****
--- 930,943 ----
              i = EX_TEMPFAIL;
            }
          }
+         else {
+           /* Trevor Paquette/SMTP greeting fix                 */
+           /* ESMTP was not found or we told stmp not to use ESMTP   */
+           /* therefore  send out the normal greeting          */
+           sprintf(SMTPbuf, "HELO %s", myhostname);
+           i = smtpwrite(fparr, verboselog, 1, SMTPbuf);
+         }
+
          if (i == EX_OK) {
            if (verboselog)
              fprintf(verboselog,

2) change scheduler.conf in the smtp case to the following..

# Connections to the outside shouldn't duplicate effort so we only allow one
# per destination.
smtp/*          maxchannel=10
                maxhosts=1
                gangschedule
                command="smtp -E 600 -sl ${LOGDIR}/smtp $host"
                              ^^^^^^^

     tells smtp NOT to connect with the EHLO greeting causing the MSMAIL SMTP gateway to croak..

 Hope this helps..
  (I'm off till Jan 3rd.. I'll answer any more questions when I get back..)