Re: rotating logfiles

> I've borrowed a little script to rotate logfiles, however this cause some
> problems with zmailer.
>
> Dec  8 00:07:25 office mailbox: Cannot open control file "local/15241" from
> "/var/spool/postoffice/scheduler" as uid 0! (No such file or directory)
> Dec  8 00:07:25 office mailbox: Cannot open control file "local/15241" from
> "/var/spool/postoffice/scheduler" as uid 0! (No such file or directory)

	Nope, this comes from different source, and occurs
	even without rotating of the logs...

> Is this the best way to do it?
>
> Ideally I want to rotate logs via cron anyone else done this with success?

	Your taste may vary, but I think it was overly complex script..
	My (weekly) log rotation is similar, though a bit simpler.

		cd /var/log/mail
		/etc/zmailer kill
		FILES="router scheduler smtp smtpserver"
		for x in $FILES
		do
			mv $x.o.gz $x.oo.gz
			mv $x $x.o
		done
		/etc/zmailer
		for x in $FILES
		do
			gzip $x.o
		done

	This kind of script has a problem that none of the subsystems
	is waited until they die out entirely, thus some double-deliveries
	may occur due to this when a scheduler is restarted while some
	transport-channel is just working on an item.

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@utu.fi>