Re: latest cvs version aka .56pre9

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:12:41PM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 05:23:01PM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> >>Other error, this time in Red Hat Linux 9 with same configure options:
> >>I compile it with a plain user, not root.
> >>cd mailq && make -w DESTDIR=/tmp/z install
> >>make[3]: Entering directory
> >>Manifying blib/man3/ZMailer::mailq.3pm
> >>Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
> >>/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi at
> >>/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 84.
> > Is there in your produced   utils/perl/Makefile  an uncommented
> > "DESTDIR="  entry as 5th line from top ?
>
> No, I didn't touch it

Deeper looking around of the perl's way to handle this, and what
for example RedHat's source packages do while compiling the packages
did reveal that there is indeed radically different way to handle
this.   Now I believe I got that thing corrected.  At least my
own install-test worked as was the intention.

Looking also at what is done to the perl modules in between
compilation, "make install", and actual package wrapping.

Present modified way to make it will likely need revising, but at least
it will not install into proper location.  Possible revisions include
loosening perl version dependence.

> >>zmailer/doc/manual is too old, http://zmailer.org/zman/ has latest release
> > Eh ?   That source directory contains sources for those
> > published pages..
>
> zmailer-2.99.56.pre9/doc/manual contains 2.2M of old sgml manual.

No exaggerations, please.  700k of SGML  and 475k of TEX subdirs.
The manual _is_ written in SGML with DOCBOOK DTDs.  That is used
to produce both HTML and PDF versions.

That part of the material I consider so highly properietary at the
moment, that I don't expect it to be processable anywhere except at
my server.    There are some settings and tools that are strictly
bound to my  zmailer.org  setup.  See  "make publish"  target :)

> >>locate smcta -> gets nil
> >  smcm ?
>
> locate smcm -> gets nil too

Changing just man-page filename would not do very nicely without
also changing the program name.

I tried to have different approach, but apparently that doesn't work
in all places either.  It sure works in Solaris 8, and RedHat 8+,
but that isn't the whole world..   Not even all (older) Linux versions
support  "man 8zm sm" that Linux  man version 1.5k  can do.

The Open Group POSIX.1/2003 says about man:
        man [-k] name...
which is rather non-specific in this regard.

Back to the man-page collision problem:

I think you need to create some sort of "post-install"
script that is run before package construction happens.

Such scripts do exist in e.g. RedHat's perl auxiliary
module packaging SPEC files.