Re: router eating sick amounts of core

> On a sun4/380 running sunos4.1.3, zmailer's router grows to about 80MB
> of ram and hovers around 83MB for the rest of it's life.  Many times
> it segfaults and leaves a heavily (300k!!!) core file so there is no
> hope of me trying to throw a debugger on this puppy.
>
> I recall reading that there are some memory problems when expanding
> large mailing lists.  This site runs about 70 or so majordomo lists,
> most have over 2,000 subscribers per list.  I was hoping that zmailer
> would make my site humm, but it's just eating a lot of ram and doing
> worse than sendmail ever did.

	The fix I deviced to that was mostly in the configuration
	scripts.  It works just fine, if:
	    - you don't use the old original listexpansion script
	    - instead you either feed individual addresses of the
	      recipients to the router, OR you feed it names of
	      (sub)lists, and use the new script:

$MAILSHARE/cf/aliases.cf:
        a="$MAILVAR/lists/$lcuser"
        nattr=()
        [ $didexpand ] || [ -f "$a" ] &&
          db add expansions "$key" list &&
            priv=$(getpriv "664" $priv "$a" maillist) &&
              nattr=($(newattribute $attr privilege $priv sender "$lcuser-owner")) &&
                return $(listexpand -E "$user-owner" -p $priv -e "$lcuser-owner" -c "$a file expansion" $nattr  "$a" "$user" < "$a")

	If you use  /etc/aliases  to expand your sublists, there
	THIS change does not affect, unfortunately..

	I THOUGHT the Majordomo feeds individual addresses to the
	mailer, but apparently it behaves differently from that of
	the Listserv, and Listproc systems.

> In the meantime, I imagine that the router is caching the smtp
> information as it expands new list postings.  Is there a way to config
> the router to not cache everything or to do less caching?

	It caches some information per message resolving (loop-
	preventation information), and some other for a bit longer
	times (DNS lookups), but none of those are very long-living
	databases (nor particularly large..)

> Or do people suspect memory leakage?  I'm using a pretty trustworthy
> resolver library to link against, so I don't suspect that to be the
> problem.

	I don't suspect it -- resolver is not (usually) the culprit..

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@utu.fi> <mea@nic.funet.fi>