Re: SMTP file naming issue?

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:23:11PM -0700, Neal Morgan wrote:
> After some time looking through the code, I see my previous questions
> were dumb.
>
> So, let me try again:
>
> Is there a way to configure router/transport(/scheduler) so that:
>
> 1) messages received by smtpserver are "routed" to an alternate
>    directory

The answer here is "INPUTDIRS=" ZENV variable.

See: http://zmailer.org/man/zmailer.conf.5zm.html

> 2) metadata about the message is maintained

Message metadata consists of two things:
  - Envelope data inside the spoolfile
  - File i-node number and mtime forming up a spool-id

With very rapid message lifetimes it is possible, that two messages do get
same spool-id.  First one does get completely processed before second one
has even been created...

Additional unique data source would be nice - but what that would be ?
Light-weight, secure, persistent ?

> 3) an external process operates on the message, then
> 4) the external processes "resubmits" or "renables" the message, router
> and transport pick back up with the SAME message information (but
> altered message contents) and continue where they left off with routing
> and delivery?

In practice by preservation of i-node number and mtime of the file
is all you need for claiming the file to have same spool-id.

E.g. Write processing result at first to a temp file named  .#####
(see how  libc/mail.c names temporary files.)

Then copy the result back to the original spool file, truncate it
if the new one is smaller than the original, and  utimes(2) the
st_mtime to match original stamp  ->  you get same spoolid.

Then move the spool file to ROUTER= subdirs, and possibly use notification
mechanism to announce existence of the file to the router queue manager.

> It seems like this should be possible with router and sm? I just can't
> figure out the correct configuration to make ZMailer view this as the
> same message, rather than a new one.

Having same i-node and same st_mtime timestamp will keep the spool-id
the same.   It is entirely possible to have spool-file name differ from
decimal representation of i-node number, but then you have to find some
other way to generate guaranteed unique filenames - this is simple in
e.g. sendmail who keeps all spool-files in same directory, but not so
in ZMailer, which does spread files all over the place.

       /Matti Aarnio

FUNET:  Finnish Academic and Research Network
	Network Information/Software Archival Service