Re: SPF and senderokwithdns

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:52:05PM +0400, Eugene Crosser wrote:
> I wanted to check sender_dns_verify() even for authenticated users, and
> for users coming from trusted networks.  Because the earlier a customer
> is hinted about mistyped "From" address the better.
>
> But actually I don't care too much, just thought that it would be the
> right thing...
>
> Eugene

Yes, that would be quite nice setup.
Snafu are those average level cluefull users with their windows...

And present code is doing exactly that, with a small twist, that
ratelimit value will get instant 10x expansion, if user is known
to be authenticated.  But that knowledge is received only, if
"SMTP AUTH" methods have been used, not e.g. with whoson...

That discrepancy in between the SMTP AUTH, and WHOSON should(?) be
corrected, IMO.  But I don't have time for it in next about two weeks.

There is also new  smtphook.c  which follows what "man perlembed"
tells us to do.  It has related option for ./configure  so that
it will ever be taken into use.  Also  smtpserver/smtp-perl-hooks-pl.in
got written in order to give some idea of how the interface is
supposed to work -- does it work like that ?  No idea yet...
"It compiles"  isn't the same thing as "it works."

There is also new   --enable-distcache   thing, which gets used in
smtpserver's TLS code.  It is 'distributed cache', and it is actually
the _only_ session change mechanism in the code.  Again: "It compiles"..
( www.distcache.org has some documentation about ideas behind it. )

I plan to be off the networks for up to two weeks beginning
(perhaps) next thursday.  I get my ham-radio gear with me,
and sail around lots of small islands that we have here in
between Helsinki and Stockholm.