Re: strange problem with smptserver/router and alias

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:54:00AM -0500, Roy Bixler wrote:
> Due to all the spammers trying to send to non-existent addresses and
> all the resultant bounces to bogus addresses which get stuck in our
> outgoing queues, I recently decided to enable the router with the
> smtpserver.  It worked as expected until someone reported that they
> could no longer send to a certain alias.  Here is where it gets
> strange.  Other aliases work as expected.  If I go into "router -i",
> the alias in question expands correctly.  It's only the smtpserver
> that claims that this is "554 5.0.0 unresolvable address"
>
> One thing I tried was to temporarily change the database type from
> btree to gdbm, but that made no difference.  How would I go about
> debugging this further?  I am using a semi-old Debian woody ZMailer
> 2.99.55 version.

Never mind.  I had an "aha" moment and decided to test each of the
addresses on the alias for validity.  There was one address that no
longer existed.  Once I removed that address from the alias, the
smtpserver accepted mail to it again.

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press