strange problem with smptserver/router and alias

Due to all the spammers trying to send to non-existent addresses and
all the resultant bounces to bogus addresses which get stuck in our
outgoing queues, I recently decided to enable the router with the
smtpserver.  It worked as expected until someone reported that they
could no longer send to a certain alias.  Here is where it gets
strange.  Other aliases work as expected.  If I go into "router -i",
the alias in question expands correctly.  It's only the smtpserver
that claims that this is "554 5.0.0 unresolvable address"

One thing I tried was to temporarily change the database type from
btree to gdbm, but that made no difference.  How would I go about
debugging this further?  I am using a semi-old Debian woody ZMailer
2.99.55 version.

thx,

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>