Re: Reworking on smtpserver subsystems..

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:00:23PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> Two lengthy coding nights has left me quite beaten, no jokes even
> of such are todays theme..
>
> First a picture:
>
>   http://zmailer.org/zman/smtpserver-processes.gif
>
> I need to add a message-rate limiter/tracker subsystem into the
> smtpserver, and at the same time I begun to consider what other
> things might be needed.
> Any thoughts, anyone ?

  Drawing more pictures, and reading more of W.Richard Steven's books
  about UNIX network programming, and related things, I see that
  simplest would be a server alike our current one, plus three
    socketpair(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, ..)
  type sockets in it for the file descritor passing.  Those three
  fd's would lead into three sub-server processes.

  So far I have considered the 'descriptor passing' to be in class
  of its own:  Too advanced to be used in ZMailer...
  (Especially as the _only_ way to do things.)

  However: What to do if there is no way to pass an FD ?
  Should there be a fallback into named sockets/pipes scheme ?
  Would  door(2)  help somehow ?  (Very Solaris only thingie..)