Re: A potential way to cut down on spam.

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 21:12, Neal Morgan wrote:

> Nonetheless, I get pretty good results by rejecting based on "mailbox
> doesn't exist" messages in syslog.  I accumulate "points" by IP address:
>
> - messages with many recipients and many bad users get the highest points,
> - messages with many recipients and two or less bad users get less points,
> - messages with one recipient that's bad gets one point
>
> Accumulate too many points over a specified period and the IP is added to
> my RBL zone file.  It's not perfect, but at least I'm doing something.

We use different scoring model, and different way of throttling (make
smtp server appear very slow rather than reject message), but otherwize,
I too think that "dynamic reactive" approach is the most useful one.

Anyone knows a popular forum/maillist where such issues are discussed?

Eugene