Re: GDBM usage

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 11:39:26PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo zmailer,
>
> configure says:
>
> ??? Has <ndbm.h>, but dbm_open() is not at libc, libndbm, nor at libdb ???
> Located NDBM's  dbm_open()  routine at nowhere
>
> The latest version of gdbm has the ndbm et.al. modes in an own
> library which is called gdbm_compat, so it would probably a good idea
> to check if dbm_open() is in libgdbm_compat.a or libgdbm.a.

I would not bother.  NDBM database has a serious problem,
namely:  ( length of key + length of data ) must be at most 1024

What the interest is in that part of configure script, is about
that OLD BSD NDBM database, in case it has to be used because
anything better (GDBM, SleepyCat DB, etc.) isn't available.

Using GDBM or SleepyCat DB thru NDBM's API isn't particularly
necessary thing in this part.