Re: percent sign hack and open relay

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 05:15:20PM -0500, Roy Bixler wrote:
> Also, I gather from earlier discussions that one has to be very
> careful about putting an entry in db/localnames to match the name that
> the 'hostname' command returns.  Is this correct and, if I had done
> this, I wouldn't have had the open relay in the first place?

If anyone is interested, I risked opening the mail server to relay
again, reverted 'canon.cf' to its original state and put the
'hostname' output into 'localnames'.  I found then that the percent
sign hack failed where it succeeded before.  So the answer to my
question is "yes, I wouldn't have had an open relay if my 'localnames'
had been complete."

Words to the wise ...  It sure didn't take the spammers long to take
advantage of my oversight.  Then it was a very short time later that
Spamcop submitted my host to ordb.org, which promptly listed the new
mail server as an open relay.  Quite a few hosts were then rejecting
our e-mail.  (To tell the truth, I use ordb.org myself on some mail
servers I administer.)  The relentless spamming has changed things a
lot and not just for the end user!

Regards,

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>