HELO pattern flag

Hello,

some things noticed after installing 2.99.56pre4:

I used to (back when I still was using 2.99.50s1, i.e., yesterday)
just used flags "ve". However, the newer proto-smtpserver.conf
files say that "ftve" set requires enable-router, so I left just
the flag "R" in there.

1. However, running smtpserver with flag "R" causes errors-on-error
   conditions to generate an error mail to postmaster (this condition
   does not seem to happen without the "R" flag).

   Stranger still, the error mail that is generate says the following:

Your message is being returned unprocessed.

The following annotated envelope headers illustrate the error(s):

Error in "to" envelope address:

        <>
         ^-expected word

Error in "To" header address:

        <>
         ^-expected word

   It is like, ZMailer will forget what the RFC says if the "R" flag
   is present; "expected word" inside a null return path is not what
   I would expect from ZMailer.

2. If I replace the "R" flag back with "ve", the bounces on the
   errors-on-error conditions seem to stop. However, I have not
   re-enabled the interactive routing subsystem. This looks strange
   based on what proto/smtpserver.conf says.

3. I checked my old (abandoned 2.99.53) config files, and found that
   I was using "." for an empty set of HELO flags. This seems to still
   work with 2.99.56pre4, but seems undocumented (at least in proto/
   smtpserver.conf). Actually, all the HELO flags seem to be undocumented
   in proto/smtpserver.conf.

IIRC, I am using new cf files with no local changes.

Best regards,
--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li@ieee.org>

http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/