From: zmailer-owner@nic.funet.fi [mailto:zmailer-owner@nic.funet.fi]On
Behalf Of Matti Aarnio
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 7:00 AM
To: James MacKinnon
Cc: zmailer@nic.funet.fi
Subject: Re: rough zmailer treatment on .forward expansion

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 03:32:59PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:24:26PM -0600, James MacKinnon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Does anyone know why zmailer (2.99.55) might be
> > not handling empty .forward expansion in a graceful way?

Now depending upon your definition of "gracefull", my current
CVS code produces:

  From:   Error Channel <MAILER-DAEMON>
  To:     testuser
  Subject: Error in /home/testuser/.forward .forward expansion
  Date:   Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:39:07 +0300

  NO valid recipient addresses!
  Verify source file protection/ownership/access-path, and content.
  Current effective UID = 0

and marks that message as internally generated error message, and
will not generate another message for it, when sending thru 'testuser'.

The script does now proceed onwards beyond failed  ~testuser/.forward
file expansions, and eventually delivers the original message along
with this diagnostic report to the intended recipient's local delivery
channel ( = his/her mailbox, usually ).

It does, still, produce a BCC of this message to  <postoffice>  address.

What it does no longer, is to cause self-feeding message generation.

The necessary "loop-break" infrastructure was added at 2.99.55-patch1.
(Also simplified   isErrChannel  flag variable setting was added there.)