Re: rough zmailer treatment on .forward expansion

James et al:

I experienced the same problem.  Sadly, I didn't use the router test and
learned this one the hard way.

My workaround was a script that grooms users' .forward files - removing
invalid ones, and ensuring the owner and permissions were right.  (James,
please respond to my email if you'd like a copy).

I'd be interested in a ZMailer based fix here too.

Thanks,

Neal Morgan

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know why zmailer (2.99.55) might be
> not handling empty .forward expansion in a graceful way?
>
> I set an empty .forward (0 bytes) on a test account, and then
> only with a 'router -i' test, I got back a continuous series
> of delivered mail messages through our MTA from the MAILER-DAEMON
> ( 30 or 40, until I quickly removed the .forward file) all similar
> to:
>

>   Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:27:53 -0600
>   From:   Error Channel <MAILER-DAEMON>
>   To:     prtest
>   Cc:     The Post Office <postmaster>
>   Subject: Error in /srv/users/u/xxxxx/.forward .forward expansion
>
>   NO valid recipient addresses!
>   Verify source file protection/ownership/access-path
>   Current effective UID = 0
>

> This could cause a lot of grief if a user is in a list
> and a .forward exists but is empty.
>

> Is there some configuration setting I can use, or do I need
> to modify router/functions.c as a temp fix ?
>

> Cheers,
> --
> James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
> Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]
> University of Alberta        email : Jim.MacKinnon@Phys.UAlberta.CA
> Edmonton, Canada T6G 2N5     WWW   : http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/

char*f="char*f=%c%s%c;main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}%c";main(){printf(f,34,f
,34,10);}