Re: Parallel delivery rates?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:49:17PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> OK I've noticed that zmailer tends to only get up one delivery thread
> per domain...  What exactly controls this behavious?  I've tried
> danged-near everything under the sun to up those limits (I have managed
> to apparently get slightly more deliveries going in parallel on the
> average though which does help)...

   It somewhat depends on the version -- very early versions (2.2.*)
  do schedule parallel threads, their scheduling model is different.
  The "parallel threads" support has existed in the new one for about
  three years (since 1998, I think), although even I haven't used it
  all that much having no usual need for it.

   Have you read the initial (lengthty) comments in the beginning
  of the boilerplate   scheduler.conf(.in)   file ?

   There I try to illuminate the relationship of the different control
  variables.

> Really it seems that only one process (ta?) is delivering to a
> host/domain.  The manual is never really clean and clear on the whole
> thread, process, job, channel relations....

   Which of the manuals ?  The big bulky SGML/HTML thing ?
  The scheduler.8,  or something else ?  (Of which version of ZMailer ?)
  It is entirely possible that I haven't gotten around to rewrite the
  texts about scheduling in the Manual.

   In the   scheduler.8  there is this detail:

       maxthr (1)
              This limits the number of parallel transport agents
              within  each  thread;  that  is, using higher value
              than default ``1'' will allow running more than one
              TA for the jobs at the thread.

              Do  note  that running more than one TA in parallel
              may also require lowering  OVERFEED  value.   (E.g.
              having a queue of 30 messages will not benefit from
              more TAs, unless they all get something to process.
              Having OVERFEED per default at 150 will essentially
              feed whole queue to one TA, others are not  getting
              any.)