Parallel delivery rates?

OK I've noticed that zmailer tends to only get up one delivery thread
per domain...  What exactly controls this behavious?  I've tried
danged-near everything under the sun to up those limits (I have managed
to apparently get slightly more deliveries going in parallel on the
average though which does help)...

Really it seems that only one process (ta?) is delivering to a
host/domain.  The manual is never really clean and clear on the whole
thread, process, job, channel relations....

Any help?