sizeof() build errors (was: Re: Duplicate emails on Zmailer 2.99.55)

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On my system (which uses autoconf 2.13 because 2.50 breaks
> with other things) I cannot get zmailer newer than 2.99.55
> to build ...
>
> (getting things like sizeof(char)==sizeof(int)==sizeof(long)==0)

I found a similar situation recently trying to build current cvs
zmailer on a sparc Solaris 7.  I found that it was necessary to
specifiy the --with-gcc configuration flag -- setting and exporting
the CC environment wasn't sufficient.

Although I didn't look at the problem in-depth, I suspect that at
some point the CC environment/make variable is getting ignored and
/usr/ucb/cc was being used (and, being a non-functional compiler,
error'd out to produce sizeof(int) == 0).
--
         Devin Reade         <gdr@gno.org>