Re: Hello + Questions

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:38:10PM +0100, Cem CARFIL wrote:
> Hello everybody on the mailing-list !
>
> I'm a 26 year old student learning Network & System at high school in Paris, at the same time I'm working as Network Engineer in an ISP.
>

> I'm supposed to put Zmailer on a productive plateform working all the day for our customers. They use to have an primary SMTP server with their ISDN line so we are the second MX. I want to know if someone as already tried to make this work and their way of doing that.

  Yes, quite common setup.  My employer has lots of such cases too.
  (Pre-requisite being that the addresses of primary MXes are stabile
   globally routable ones, not dynamic wonders..)

  An alternate is to route email to them via e.g. UUCP, either natively
  or with BSMTP over UUCP.

> I've got the idea to put local mailboxes, each one for one domain and after to use someting like mail2smtp or so in order to resend theses mails to the original domain SMTP server when it's on air through a detection script (testing with FPING...). But i've not seen any utility like the Qmail "maildir2smtp" for Zmailer.

  The suggested machinery is called "ETRN", in the sources there
  are files  doc/guides/smtp-etrn  and  doc/guides/etrn-cluster
  which may be of some help to you.

  I don't know if the  maildir  system can carry all of SMTP metadata.