Re: No A, no MX... but still retrying.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:24:32AM +0000, Alexey Lobanov wrote:
> But THIS case (no A, no MX) seems to be more definite. If we have no
> any DNS reply at all - yes, we have to retry. But as soon as we have
> NO_DATA reply, we may stop immediately. The address is definitely
> wrong.

    Unfortunately we get NO_DATA for wrong reasons too, that is why
    the current code behaves like it does.

    The code, by the way, reads:

#if 0
		  if (r != EX_TEMPFAIL)
		    r = EX_NOHOST; /* Can do instant reject */
#else
		  r = EX_TEMPFAIL;
#endif

    This is around line 2110 at CVS version of smtp.c

    It all culminates at how   getaddrinfo()  misbehaves.
    ("badly" - I am afraid :-/  )

    And for that matter, I have thought about doing delayed reports,
    but I won't put my finger at them yet..  Meanwhile, have a peek
    at ongoing  LaTeX -> DOCBOOK-SGML transformation work at:
	http://www.zmailer.org/zman/zmanual.html
	http://www.zmailer.org/zman/zmanual.ps