scheduler queke structure

Matti,

how comes that under load there are a lot of files in the
$POSTOFFICE/transport and $POSTOFFICE/queue directories,
while there *also* are files in the [A-Z] subdirectories?
Is this because the router places the files in the directories,
and the scheduler moves them over to subdirectories later?
I experienced a burst of load today, the transport queue
grew up to 29000 entries and scheduler slowed down to a halt.
I suppose this was because directory operations became very
slow when it became overcrowded.

Any comments?

Eugene