Re: router alias expansion problem - upgrading from 2.99.48 to 2.99.51

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On 3 Nov 1999, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> > Alvin Starr <alvin@iplink.net>
> > > I also had the same problem for a while. I just got it to go away by
> > > installing the latest version of Zmailer.
> >
> > Sorry, I was unclear.
> >
> > The "open relay" problem went away when I upgraded.  The "ORBS
> > won't take me out of the list" problem did not go away.
>
> This is a very serious problem. ORBS has been a good spamblock
> mechanism for a mailing list server, but if problems like these
> surface it will be unacceptable to continue using ORBS :(
>
> I hope that the ORBS people will be able to solve this problem
> somehow and continue doing the great work they've done over the
> years.

Doing great work ??

telnet mail-abuse.org
Relay test 11
>>> RSET
<<< 250 2.0.0 Ok
>>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@testhost.domain.com>
<<< 250 2.1.0 Sender syntax Ok
>>> RCPT TO:<"relaytest@mail-abuse.org"@testhost.domain.com>
<<< 250 2.1.5 Recipient address syntax Ok
Relay test result
Uh oh, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
The host may reject this message internally, however
Connection closed by foreign host.

However, the mail didn't reach relaytest@mail-abuse.org. Instead
spamtest@testhost.domain.com got it back stating
"relaytest@mail-abuse.org" is not a user on this host.

I get the idea that by failing this test some spamfighters (i.e. ORBS)
think you're still vulnerable, thus don't remove you from their database.
But the host doesn't relay !

Mark

Mark Visser / Calslaan 26-31              | E-mail: mark@dnd.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede / Telephone: 053-4895038 | SNT-mail: mark@snt.utwente.nl
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.