Re: ESMTP header (Hdr220)

Hello.

> To:             Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
> Copies to:      Alexey Lobanov <listman@cpr.spb.ru>, zmailer@nic.funet.fi
> Subject:        Re: ESMTP header (Hdr220)
> From:           Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@troll.no>
> Date sent:      08 Sep 1999 15:02:42 +0200

> Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>

> >   Nowhere in these is a note telling that one should do
> >   EHLO protocol only when word "ESMTP" is present in the
> >   initial greeting message.
>
> Certainly.  But 'send EHLO instead of HELO' in the RFC is a should,
> not a must, so a client -can- send HELO in any given connection if it

> Try to keep 'de facto standards' from growing up by not conforming, or
> improving zmailer's interoperation with this stupid-but-legal quirk?
>
> Difficult choice.

Seems, this is not a real problem, as far as initial greeting is not
hardcoded. In Zmailer it is 100% configurable now, so that's enough
for server admin to know about the problem and to decide if ESMTP
capabilities are really important for him/her. For me it is important
(early rejection of oversized messages, etc) - so I will try to
satisfy all stupid clients.

Again, IMHO it is not a problem. It is just an information issue for
Zmailer configuration, nothing more.

Regards,
Alexey