Re: Mail System Broken

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> 	It looks like your  /var/spool/mail  directory ownership, and/or
> 	protection is broken.
>
> 	I do usually run postoffice with protection   1777,  which, while
> 	allowing anybody to create any files in there, does not require
> 	the system to run setuid/setgid programs for email access.

  Ugh... I guess you choose your own poison..  either run setuid, or let
users put junk in /var/mail (imo mailboxes should be /var/mail, not
/var/spool/mail, but that's another message).

  Of course you could also touch the mbox when creating the user, and
disable the dotlock stuff (which isn't that useful).

Tom