Re: procmail as local MDA pointers?

Matti Aarnio writes:

> >     I'd like some information on using procmail as the local MDA -
> > anyone have any pointers?  Specifically, I would like to prevent zmailer
> > from passing mail onto procmail before it's finished resolving addresses
> > through the aliases file.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!

> 	With 2.99.48p6 / 2.99.49p2 the standard configuration will
> 	ALMOAST do it all.  You need to alter  MAILSHARE/scheduler.conf
> 	entry of:
>
> 	local/*
> 		# Do MIME text/plain; Quoted-Printable -> text/plain; 8BIT
> 		# conversion on flight!
> 		command="mailbox -8"
> 		# Or with CYRUS server the following might do:
> 		#command="sm -8c $channel cyrus"
> 		# Or with PROCMAIL as the local delivery agent:
> 		#command="sm -8c $channel procm"
>
> 	Comment the first "command=" entry away, and uncomment the last one.
>
> 	Then all deliveries to local users will go thru procmail, AND
> 	if users want to run pipes / store to files thru their  .forward
> 	files, they can do that too.  (That is why there are tag-matchers
> 	for  "local/file*" and "local/pipe*" before "local/*" in that
> 	scheduler.conf file; those are for cases which must not run thru
> 	procmail..)

	Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, this is exactly what I
did.  I commented out command="mailbox -8" and uncommented
command="sm -8c $channel procm" in the local/* definition.  It was then
that I discovered procmail was being asked to deliver mail to aliases,
which clearly wouldn't work.  Any ideas?  What I want to have done is
procmail be used *only* for user's mailboxes, and zmailer's mailbox be
used for pipes and files.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead					Technology Support Staff,
						Mathematics Department,