Re: How to update localnames?

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Swen Thuemmler wrote:

> yesterday I changed the db/localnames file (added some entries). This lead
> to some nasty errors ("trying to talk with myself" and such). I
> immediately stopped and restarted zmailer, but I wonder what is the
> correct method to change localnames (and fqdnaliases and aliases). Can I
> edit a copy and then move it in place or do I have to stop zmailer before
> changing the file? Normally, I don't want to stop zmailer just for
> changing one of these files. Now, localnames is an ordered file, so this
> may be the source of the error, but now I wonder about aliases, which I
> do edit a lot more often. Is newaliases safe? What are the correct
> procedures?

Swen:

Here's what I do.

I edit db/localnames and save it to a temporary file.  Then I "sort" it
back into db/localnames (you can do all this without an extra file from
within emacs).  Finally, I restart the router(s) with "zmailer router".

-timmo

Tim DiLauro                          Milton S. Eisenhower Library
Library Systems Jack                 Johns Hopkins University
(410) 516-5263                       3400 N. Charles Street
timmo@jhu.edu                        Baltimore, MD  21218