Re: duplicate email from Apple/Eudora Internet servers

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is anyone else here who has gotten massive
> duplicated email from a site running Apple Internet server or Eudora
> Internet server.  The offending sites connect once every 15 to 30 minutes
> and submit the same message as on previous connections.  Right now, I am
> getting around this problem by outfitting victim users with a simple
> 'procmail' filter to quietly sink the duplicates.  But I am wondering if
> there is any other solution available besides this, complaining the
> postmasters of the remote site and complaining to Eudora and Apple.

	I have pondered this question, and can't figure out it being
	ZMailer's fault.  The RFC 1830 examples are buggy, and if the
	implementor isn't extremely carefull, they may make a mistake..

	Still, the BDAT session looks just fine, so I have no idea
	what the trouble is at the sending side.

> Here is a sample SMTP conversation below:
>
> 16312w   220 press-gopher.uchicago.edu ZMailer Server 2.99.48p2 #1 ESMTP+IDENT r
> eady at Thu, 15 May 1997 14:32:45 -0500
> 16312#   remote from [206.126.246.3]
> 16312r   EHLO mail.ness.org
> 16312w   250-press-gopher.uchicago.edu expected "EHLO woz.ness.org"
> 16312w   250-SIZE 0
> 16312w   250-8BITMIME
> 16312w   250-PIPELINING
> 16312w   250-CHUNKING
> 16312w   250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 16312w   250-EXPN
> 16312w   250-VRFY
> 16312w   250-DSN
> 16312w   250-X-RCPTLIMIT 10000
> 16312w   250-ETRN
> 16312w   250 HELP
> 16312r   MAIL FROM:<usera@mail.ness.org> SIZE=2522
> 16312w   250 2.1.0 Sender syntax Ok
> 16312#   -- pipeline input exists 34 bytes
> 16312r   RCPT TO:<userb@press.uchicago.edu>
> 16312w   250 2.1.5 Ok; can accomodate 2522 byte message
> 16312r   BDAT 2522 LAST
> 16312w   250 2.6.0 S.nSqHV26582 Roger, stored 2704 bytes into spool
>
> Any ideas will be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Roy Bixler
> The University of Chicago Press postmaster
> rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu

	/Matti Aarnio