SMTP ignoring MX RR's?

We've encountered a problem lately with the SMTP client in version 2.99.38.

In this specific case, mindspring.com has two MX RR's in place, but the SMTP
client still *ocassionally* connects to mindspring.com's A RR to deliver the
mail.  Mindspring.com's SMTP port just replies 500-something immediately,
causing the mail to immediately bounce.

I'm using the "-e" option to smtp to do "expensive MX lookups" but it is
still happening.  Only some of the time though... I cannot discern a pattern
to the boo-boo.

Does this ring any bells?

-Andy