Re: Multiple Routers Processing A Single Message

> Is unlink() *always* atomic though?  I heard some time ago that link() is
> not properly atomic in some NFS cases (specifically, a VMS NFS server was
> the one I heard about).

Andy,

I think we must have read the same thread... said VMS implementation also
had other problems (like updating the timestamp on the parent directory)
that broke "traditional" NFS server semantics.  I think the final consensus
was that it was not behaving correctly and needed to be fixed... I believe
they did that, although I don't know if the unlink() problem was specifically
addressed.

I believe unlink() is generally always atomic over NFS as well.

Bruce

--
Bruce Sterling Woodcock ------ Systems Administrator ][ sterling@netapp.com
Network & Systems Administration - Network Appliance ][ sterling@netcom.com