File locking broken with 2.99.45 on FreeBSD 2.1

Is anyone using ZMailer on FreeBSD?  I've installed it on my PC,
486DX80 with 32MB.  After installation, I tried testing it by sending
a message to another local address, but I did not see the message
delivered to the local mailbox, nor did I recieve a bounce message.

I went rummaging in $POSTOFFICE/queue to see if I could figure out
what went wrong, and I found this in one of the message files:

    % channel error
    % todsn ORCPT=rfc822;postoffice
    % to <postoffice>
    % env-end